Monday, November 09, 2009

digging into clay
soil breathes and drinks - patiently
awaiting new life


Digging in the hard clay of Florida's soil is no easy task... patience i continue to tell myself. little by little. so much to do though, and so little time. the days are getting cooler. seedlings growing taller. a late start, but perhaps not too late to bring in a plentiful harvest. the tractor on the farm is broken, which means what could be 10 minutes work is now turned into the work of several days, but I don't mind. I enjoy working with my hands, and with the tools. It brings me a subtle happiness that I notice when the dialogue in my head decides to quiet for a moment. Digging, cultivating, planting... all meditative, all works of patient practice. It's an investment in life. Not just the life of the vegetables I will plant, but in the life of the soil. Opening up the hard ground, allowing air to enter and water to penetrate... adding rich compost and nurturing amendments. Creating a home for microbes and earthworms. New life is just around the corner.

No comments: